Re: [Amps] Russian power L-coupler

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian power L-coupler
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:32:28 -0500
Sorry I meant 180 degrees. The point is if it is used in an application
where a high Q is not needed there would be no problem because the
circulating currents would not be high. Often they were used to fill in the
gaps between taps of larger coils. In a L-tuner and reasonable impedance
ratios the Q would be on the order of 2 to 5. And the Inductor would be in
series with either the input or the output impedance thus would not see any
higher currents than either of them. If the antenna feedline or the coax
from the amplifier were  #10 wire and the varicoupler was in series with
one of them and was made of same size wire, why would it melt down first?
My point was that in certain applications it would be better because you
would not have to worry about contact corrosion or roller arcing or any of
that stuff.

73 Bill
wa4lav