Re: [Amps] 2 x 4-250A Amp

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Mark Kachel <kachels@wi.rr.com>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 x 4-250A Amp
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:52:58 +0100 (CET)
Tom said:
> and the screen needs
regulated. It also needs a shunt regulator, or a series
regulator with a heavy bleeder.  It also needs current
limited.<
I've never seen negative screen current with 4-250As (as opposed to the 4CX,
which is a totally different animal). My series regulator has about a 10mA
bleed, which appears adequate. But I agreee with Tom that tapping down the
electrolytic chain is not a good idea.
One way around the filament problem could be something like a 12 volt, 1 amp,
centre tapped transformer. Connect the 12 volt winding across the 10 volts,
leave the primary open (or use it for a bias supply, bridge rectified) and use
the centre tap as the ground return. If you use a trifilar choke in the
filament to get RF NFB,  the winding to the common point neeed not be as heavy
as the other two windings, sinc eit will only carry out of balance current and
the DC cathode current.
73
Peter G3RZP