Re: [Amps] QST Jan 06 (Off topic)

To: 'Robert Chudek - KØRC' <k0rc@pclink.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QST Jan 06 (Off topic)
From: "Doug" <dcoffman@iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:42:15 -0800
Robert,

Your take on my operational status is fairly accurate.  I am mechanical by
nature and have a limited knowledge in the electronics arena.  This is why I
like to build antennas and work, (Limited), with amplifiers.  This is the
part of the hobby that I can work in.  Again, this is why that I rely on
'seasoned' amateurs for assistance.

I have built many antennas, from dipoles to 6 element yagis.  With that
said, I do not possess the knowledge to completely design my own antennas.
I rely on other's designs as a starting point and work from there.

I posted the request here because I knew I would get responses from
'seasoned' amateurs that I respect and have greatly helped me in the past.
I sent an e-mail to the article's author, but have not received an answer.
I am sure he is busy, as all of us are.

I truly respect and appreciate your post.  I was hoping that someone who was
familiar with this type of antenna, or antennas that are physically
shortened could assist me with understanding how to check for resonance once
the antenna was manufactured.

At the moment, I am limited to TV rotors, until my tower is erected.  This
antenna appealed to this limitation.

I plan to construct this antenna in the next couple of weeks.  I will be
using 3/8" o.d. 316SS tubing for the elements.  I am going to do away with
the wire end sections and bend the tubing to make the elements.  I use a
Swagelok roller tubing bender that allows for > 120 degree bends.

If this design works fairly well, I plant to build a 10M version.  I see
that the 10M version was discussed from the 50's through the 80's.  I will
probably order the past articles to see what they had to say.

If the moderator takes issue with my post then so-be-it.  My post is ham
related, (for learning purposes), and I do not see where it will cause him a
problem.

Again, I appreciate your response.

73, Doug
N9XTF