Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: Alpha 87a

To: "'Ian White GM3SEK'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: Alpha 87a
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:34:59 -0600
Reflecting on my Collins service days.

15 meters was the band that suffered without the 21.5' cable.  That's all.

The customers all expected the LOADING control on the exciters to sit
exactly on 50 ohms.  Matter of fact the manual said, YOU DRIVING AMPLIFIER?
Set the loading control to the 50 OHM point and resonate the plate the ALC
will handle everything else.  Well on 15 meters the exciter would load all
wacky without the "Special" cable.

So the story is:  When you have ham gear costing two times as much as the
competition or more, you can't have your loading control two lever's widths
off can you?

Drake tried the same thing with their "Special" cables for the LO's on the
twins.  I think mostly to IMPRESS their customers with esoteric thinking.
Hey we can engineer just as good as Collins guys, because we have special
cables TOO...

The Drake didn't care, plug whatever you want in there and it still works.

The Collins don't care either if its 6 foot or 106 foot, you'll just have
some exciter loading control issues...  In today's solid state world, just
fire the B***H up and make radio.

SO now you know the actual reason behind the infamous cable.

BOB DD