[Amps] Grid to Cathode Short

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Grid to Cathode Short
From: Bruce Osterberg <n9bx@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 04:49:44 -0600
Good Morning:

I have a Tempo 2002 that uses the 3cx400/8874 tubes.  All of a sudden I
have an extremely high swr when the amplifier is on line, (in fact I can
not put it on line.)  Plate current is around .4 amps and voltage is
2400VDC.  Grid current is around 10 MA and never increases.  The input
to the Cathode is through two .003M capacitors in Parallel and an
Inductor, nothing more.  I have removed all relays and fed the cathode
directly and taken the output directly from the output and still the SWR
is Bad.  Do I have a Shorted Tube, (tubes) how can I tell, Also can I
run One tube if One is Shorted until another is Found.  Any Help would
be appreciated.

73 Bruce N9BX