Re: [Amps] 3-500Z on 6 meters

To: w8ji@w8ji.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z on 6 meters
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:28:33 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2007 12:58:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w8ji@w8ji.com writes:

Lou,

Just because a single tube will operate at full ratings
under controlled conditions to a certain frequency doesn't
mean it  will work in any layout to that frequency. It also
does not mean it is the  best choice right up to the limit.

Thanks Tom, point well taken and I agree.  Since this forum is used  for many
 for the seeking of information, the help in solving problems, and  a place
to "run it up the flagpole", I'd like to put an end to the thread.   I will
throw the towel in the ring and say that the 3-500 and especially the  572B
were
not the easiest tubes for me to get to perform "really sweet".   But, I do
have a pretty good recipe for them.  If someone here is to  attempt to homebrew
6 meter amp for the first time I most definitely recommend  an 8877, GS-35B
and 3CX800 tubes in that order.  The first 2 do not even  require parasitic
suppressors.  What could be simpler.  Like you say  "under controlled
conditions"..... is the under statement.  The other tubes  need to be handled
just right
and it isn't so easy.  73  Lou