Re: [Amps] 813 Fil Xformer

To: w0jx@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 Fil Xformer
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:32:28 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2007 12:23:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w0jx@yahoo.com writes:

Steve:
Another approach is to wire the two filaments in  series (the TL-922 does
this I believe).
Then you could use 24 volt  xformer drawing current equal to one tube. Put a
resistor in the primary lead  to get some inrush protection.

We can just simply turn right or we can make 3 lefts, the end result is the
same, but one approach is much more direct and simple.  A 10V 10A filament
transformer is a common item ( I have a couple) I offered one to Steve, but he
says he found one already.  Homebrewing is a great way to save money, but  it
is my opinion that "the right part for the job" should be a main  concern.
Some of us homebrew better than commercially available quipment  and some of us
really give homebrewing a bad name.  One saves tons of money  building their
own, I think "the right part for the job" should be in front of  saving a
couple of bucks.  If something is totally unavailable then perhaps  a "work
around"
is neccesary.  On the other hand, I've seen guys spend all  sorts of money on
"over kill" parts i.e. using a vaccuum variable when a good  air variable
will work just as well for a fraction of the cost.  With power  levels less
than
2KW I see no need for them.  I KNOW in some instances they  come in handy for
160 -10 M.  Many do not appreciate good homebrewing and  some homebrewing is
simply junk.  Lou