Re: [Amps] Filament voltages

To: w8ji@w8ji.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament voltages
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:30:27 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2007 2:15:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w8ji@w8ji.com writes:

In all  the years I've been doing this the single most common
loss of emission I  have seen in 3CX800A7's and 3CX1500A7's
has been where the user reduced  filament voltage or drew
current from the tube before the cathode was  fully up.

Good points Tom,  I doubt that the ratings and specs supplied by
manufacturers apply to amateur use in so far as any "time  limits" on the
filament  of a
tube.  Your right, the cycling of the filament with  it's in rush current
time and again would certainly play into the "life  span" of the filament.
Probably better to keep it running 24/7, but that  is not practical in ham use,
so
we usually don't do that.  As I have said  many times before, I have owned
MANY SB-220 amps and my first order of business  with them was to put in a
stand
by switch.  When I would sit down in front  of the radio to "play" ham radio
I would normally leave the amplifier off.   (I am talking SB-220) If I saw the
need to use the amp, I would turn it on and  it would stay on until I was
finished with ham radio for that  session.  If I wanted to go without using the
amp, I would hit the stand by  switch and keep the filaments going.  Many
similar amplifiers to the Sb-220  had stand-by switches.
As the saying goes " your mileage may vary".   Lou