[Amps] Ep Sweet Spot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Ep Sweet Spot
From: <sccook1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 8:24:16 -0800
Team,

Playing around with my TL-922A this weekend (pair of 3-500Zs), I noticed that
the amp was significantly more efficient with the plate voltage set to the
lower voltage (2.2KV vs 3.2KV).

For a given power output -- say 500 Watts, the low voltage position required
less drive, and resulted in lower Ip and Eg.

Just curious -- does this mean that for a given tube / power level, there is a
Sweet Spot where efficiency is optimal?  Or, was I seeing the effects of a tank
circuit not being loaded at the design 'Q'?

I always assumed more was better with respect to Plate Voltage (at least to a
point).  But now -- I don't know...

Ep Curious...

Steve (WG7K)
Tucson, AZ