Re: [Amps] WATER for vapor cooled amplifier

To: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] WATER for vapor cooled amplifier
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:32:29 -0500
> "Okay, so let's back up one step and sorta tabulate our findings
> and observations..."

A significant difference in the use of water with RF loads is that it is not
mixed with high-voltage and accordingly, probably no real reason to minimize
leakage, but immunity to long-term corrosion is important.  Typically, in a
water-cooled load, water flows through a glass jacket which, surrounds a
50-ohm resistive element.

In my prior life, I used a 25KW Altronic water-cooled load on a Harris
FM-20K commercial broadcast transmitter.  We simply ran a hose from the 46th
floor water tap and it remained that way for 15+ years without encountering
any trouble.  In all fairness though, I believe the building (downtown
office complex) used a soft water system.

On the other hand, since the vapor-cooled amps require good HV isolation, it
would seem that the water requirements are much more restrictive with two
overarching requirements: (i) low water conductivity; and (ii) low corrosive
action.  I am not sure what the right answer is but the Zephyhills product
labeled as "distilled" seems to work well with my Alpha 70V.

Paul, W9AC