Re: [Amps] Drake L4B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4B
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:46:23 +1300
Hi Jim,
If you want to keep the L4B pristine/unmodified and used only on festival days
then
you're OK, but keep your fingers crossed.

If you ever wanted to use it as a contest amp then put the power supply in a
dry
storage area, and build a real power supply that will do justice to the amp -
minimum 2.5kV under load.   Ours is 2.5kV @ 1A, but you use what you have in
the
junk box.

Do whatever is required to take care of relay sequencing and if you can
tolerate the
noise, sit two muffin fans over the 3-500s.   Rubber bumpers and 'Blue-Tac'
will
stop the fans from wandering around the cabinet top.    The original blower was
never going to keep those tubes cool under more than SSB ragchew conditions.

One caveat - the unfiltered blower plus 2 muffin fans can pull a lot of dust
and
rubbish into the amp - depends on it's environment.
Also, check the condition of the filament pin contacts and measure the filament
voltage at the pins (not the socket connectors) - do this before connecting the
HV
from your new power supply.<G>

Ours is used only for Multi-Single contesting, and is cleaned before each major
contest.   The original 3-500s are still delivering full output.
YMMV.

Good luck and 73,
Ken ZL1AIH (ZM1A in CW contests)

>I recently picked up a nice L4B with power supply, SN 1934.  The tube
marking was pretty faded, but are Eimac 3-500Zs, date code 7115.  the
amp and PS are real clean and look physically pretty good.  I have
removed the two filter cap/ diodes boards from the PS.  I think the
Sprauge caps are original.  They all reformed nicely and are showing
less that 1 ma current at 450 volts.  I will likely change out the
diodes for some 3A 1KV diodes and button things up.  Are there any
other
caveats, or issues that I should be looking for before I put this
thing
on line.  General comments on the L4B are welcomed.  I will be using
the
amp with my Drake B line twins.>