Re: [Amps] General question on filament life

Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:59:47 -0800
Maybe I've got my list "bounce" problem fixed.....

Around 1970 I put together an amp with a pair of Penta Labs used
4-400A's. Around 1988 or so one of the tubes failed due to a filament to
cathode short. Both tubes were replaced with used Eimac tubes. Still
using those two tubes. Around 1988 I built up a pair of used Eimac
4-400A's in a 40 meter monobander. Around 1999 one of those tubes failed
due to filament to cathode short. It was replaced with another used
Eimac tube. Those tubes were in use until a few months ago when that amp
deck was removed from service.

Both these amps are/were turned on to make and QSO and turned off when
finished. Some days they may never get turned on, but some days they
each may see 10 to 12 power cycles. After two failures in 58 tube/years
I decided to do something about that high failure rate and installed
step start circuit for the filaments. No failures since then and I still
turn the things on and off all the time. I have had similar results with
the 813 amps I use. Always cycle the power, never have had an 813 fail.

Seems to me there are tubes that can handle this sort of treatment IN
AMATEUR SERVICE and tubes that have a problem. Maybe it's a better idea
to use a tube that matches your lifestyle rather than alter your
lifestyle to fit a tube that is to delicate to survive without "special
care".

For an extreme case take a look at the RCA 6949. The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE
inrush surge current is spec'ed at only 165% of the nominal operating
current!

You guys that like big jugs (toobes, not boobs) and water cooling might
like this 6949. It requires a minimum of 80 GALLONS PER MINUTE of
DISTILLED water through the anode cooler, 7 GPM  through the beam
forming cylinder, and 1 GPM through the socket grid connection!

Back to filament life, when I was still working there was a RF heating
unit buried deep in a classified area. I only knew about it because a
pair of 3CX1000's would show up on my buddies desk about once a year. He
said they would go bad because the filaments were left running all the
time and anode power was only applied when it was needed. I got a pair
and checked them and sure enough, NO EMISSION! Seems I've seen this
written up by Eimac or some other manufacturer. Running thoriated
tungsten filaments without anode current shortens the life time faster
than on-off cycling. Any comments on this failure mode?

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg
http://w7iuv.com