[Amps] General question on filament life: comments

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] General question on filament life: comments
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:01:59 EST

Wonder if any study has been given to the life of these lamps when the turn
on current is limited. In other words, would the "about ready to fail" time be
 increased by providing some turn on current limiting protection? Maybe the
turn  on cycles wears the lamp out more than the actual on hours?

No one would ever do that to help the life of a 50 cent light bulb but how
about a $1000 transmitting tube?

I run a TH347 tetrode on 1296MHz that qualifies (begs) for some filament
protection. The tube manufacturer warns in the data sheet to limit the filament

current to something like 2X for the first a.c. cycle. Taking this a step
further I decided to limit the current to less than 1X at turn on. This was
accomplished by connecting a couple of 100 ohm surge limiters in series with
the
filament transformer primary. With 200 ohms in series, a maximum of .6 amps
flows in the primary and 12 amps in the secondary. The tube is spec'ed for 34
amps filament current so this is very conservative current limiting. About
three seconds after turn on, the filament volt mater begins to rise and reaches

about 5.8 VAC in maybe five or six more seconds. At this point, a Dayton
Solid  State Timer connects AC to a small DPST relay. One set of relay contacts
shorts  the surge limiters, allowing the full 6 VAC to the tube filament and
the
other  set closes a control loop for hv and ptt circuits.

Shorting the surge limiters allows them to cool to cabinet  temperature,
making them return to 200 ohms and ready for the next turn on  cycle. Also, I
assume that the lifetime of surge limiters is extended by  not allowing them
sit
and cook for hours on end.

This is so simple and inexpensive that I intend to add the circuit to some
other 8877 VHF and HF amplifiers that normally don't use filament surge
protection.

If anyone is aware of a downside in using such a circuit I would appreciate
hearing from you.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/11/2007 3:47:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,