[Amps] Tubes <==> Neat? tspa

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tubes <==> Neat? tspa
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:46:59 -0700
Kim
I dunno about tubes being neat anymore, they are
sort of a dead end for a career path, unless you
specialize in an area where they are still in
wide use, such as super power RF for particle
acceleration or plasma physics. I actually get
paid to work with tubes, but I would have never
thought that when I was a student 30 years ago.
Gridded vacuum tubes are going the way of
dial-switched telephones. I don't know of any
young engineers who are still interested or
obtaining degrees with any specialization related
to thermionic tube technology, but hams are the
'dying breed' (we are?) who still play with this
technology at home. Heck, in a year or so I may
even toss out my CRT at home, buying a flat TV
finally.

I hope that there are still folks who will
continue to make and use them for certain
applications, as even  the broadcast engineering
profession is loosing touch with them in all but
UHF television transmitters, with IOTs and some
klystrons still being used. They are certainly
useful devices within the constraints that they
have. Peak power doesn't seem to be much of a
limit for gridded tubes until you pass 5
megawatts output at VHF and even more at lower
frequencies where the internals can still be huge.

Spangenburg wrote a good text on vacuum tubes.
Others include Reich, Seeley, Eastman, Terman and
many more. Each book seems to have a special area
that they did a better job of explaining. One
place which has popped up on the WWW has a lot of
the classic texts copied so that all can read
them, although you don't get the same feeling as
you would with a moldy hardbound yellowed text
book written in 1942 on the subject!

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

Get those books for your library and keep those filaments lit.
73
John
K5PRO