Re: [Amps] Switching PS for filaments?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching PS for filaments?
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:22:03 +0000 (GMT)
I have used a switching DC power supply on my linear
for many years. The original one I had was pretty old
and used discrete components throughout (yes, that
old!) - it was completely rf quiet. Last year it
decided to die on me and I replaced it with a more
modern one. I had to put a LOT of filtering on it to
make it quiet. Both of the supplies were ex main frame
computer supplies and both were extremely cheap.

The tube in my amp is a DOD-006 (bit like a 7213)
which needs 5.5V at 17A. The old supply was easily
turned up to 5.75V to overcome the cable voltage drop;
the newer one needed an internal resistor change.

73 Roger
VE3ZI