Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise

To: "'Manfred Mornhinweg'" <mmornhin@gmx.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:24:03 -0500
A couple of things you might try to help:
A filter of open cell foam sheet placed over the inlet of the blower will
reduce some of the noise, maybe a lot of it.

If there is a wall behind the amplifier you can place a sheet of thick foam
closed cell material on the wall behind the area where the blower inlet is.
This will keep some of the noise from reflecting off the wall.

You can place a temperature switch above the tubes where the air exits to
switch a capacitor or resistor in series with the blower motor to run it
slow until the heat rises then the switch shorts out the capacitor and runs
the blower full speed.

I did all of the above on an amplifier that I have that has a large blower
on it that was terribly noisy. Still get air noise from the outlet of the
tube but the inlet side of the blower seemed to cause the most noise.

If you have a smaller high speed blower then changing to a larger slower
speed blower may be quieter and still give the same required amount of air
and back pressure.

Another thing to try, place a large hose on the inlet of the blower and run
it down below the desk. Place a couple of bends (curves) in the hose. That
will reduce the noise.

73
Gary  K4FMX