Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise - an alternate coolingschemeusing

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise - an alternate coolingschemeusing the phase transition of liquid carbon dioxide
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:24:29 +0000

"Harold Mandel" wrote

David is entirely correct!

Many of the nuke plants I've worked in use liquid hydrogen on the
main dynamo. Often these are turning at around 12,000RPM.

Well, men, get the Lithium Hydride out and start your condensing pumps.
A couple of fifty-gallon drums and some tap water will boil up some
great volumes of H2. All you need do then is to liquefy it with a good
cryostat pump.

Watch out, Hindenburg, hydrogen-cooled amps coming through!

I had a couple of off reflector emails asking me Hydrogen cooling was a rather early April?s Fool Joke ? no its quite serious - for those interested a Google search on ?Hydrogen Cooling? will yield many references - its benefits as a coolant in a power station environment are really quite amazing.

To the uninitiated, the use of hydrogen sounds a little alarming when you consider that the type of alternators that typically use this cooling technique could be producing something like 33 kV at 15,000A. But remember pure Hydrogen is safe, the presence of another gas such as oxygen is needed for ignition.

AFAIK the hydrogen used to cool alternators is in a gaseous state; I?m not aware of vapour phase cooling being used. I?ve only seen it supplied as a compressed gas from one of the industrial gas suppliers and never seen it generated on-site, although I suppose there?s no reason why it couldn?t be.

Lithium Hydride is a new one on me. Personally I would prefer to use something like Dihydrogen Monoxide http://www.dhmo.org

BTW I?m also aware of liquid Sodium being used as a heat transfer medium!

Take Care

David G4FTC