Re: [Amps] edge wound coils

To: "John" <ljdoyle@suscom-maine.net>, <AMPS@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] edge wound coils
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:50:03 -0500
> wondering if anyone out there in AMPS cyber space can tell
> me if edge wound coils big enough to be used in a 160m
> amplifier are sold to the general public and who the
> manufacture may be ? I see MFJ is advertising tuners with
> the edge wound coils so someone has got to be making
> them..i answered Glenn's ad for them but haven't heard
> back from him as yetand wonder if MFJ sells them?John
> K1GUN (building a 3X3)hi..

I wouldn't buy anything from surplus sales without carefully
checking the prices other places.

As for edgewounds, the inductor in the ATR30 does not have
the voltage rating to handle a 3X3. It is wound in house at
MFJ. MFJ actually sells things to other retailers or
wholesale/surplus vendors.

Edge wounds should be pretty easy to find and be $75 or less
for a good used one. I only pay about $300-400 for brand new
ones from Johnson/Multitech. They are everywhere, I'd bet I
have two dozen or more in the barns here.

73 Tom