Re: [Amps] winding conductors on edge into inductances TSPA

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: [Amps] winding conductors on edge into inductances TSPA
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:46:32 -0500
> I am going to make a guess for this, when you use tooling
> on a
> rotating cylinder of raw stock, a spiral of metal comes
> off, in the
> shape of a coil. If you do this with a propertly set up
> lathe, you
> should have a scrap piece which is the desired coil. Now
> if you can
> do this work with a lathe, and cut out exactly the coil
> you would
> like, turning the ID and OD, and the thickness, you should
> have the
> conductor you need already in the turned diameter of the
> coil. Then
> it would be wound onto a former, screwed into it, so to
> speak. Does
> this agree with reality? I don't know.

Not the way we did it.

We had a tool head with multiple small deep square grove
roller wheels and pulled soft ribbon onto a mandrel that
rotated.  The wheels led the ribbon in a decreasing radius
circle stretching the outside edge. The mandrel pulled and
collected the ribbon. The stretching hardened the metal.
The other way would be too time consuming and too wasteful.