[Amps] Edge wound inductors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Edge wound inductors
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:04:57 -0800
OK guys, help me out here. I just don't see the advantage of using these
edge wound inductors.

I have several and have measured their Q. The measured Q does not
impress me as it was about the same as a similar sized inductor wound
from copper wire or tube.

Even if the Q was extraordinary, the things are so huge that they need
to be mounted so close to the chassis (and tune caps, tubes, etc.) in
terms of coil diameters, that the Q is dramatically reduced in practice.

A coil wound on ceramic with #10 copper wire is more than enough to run
2500 watts out on 160 into a 50 ohm dummy load assuming a reasonable
tank Q. Even 1500 out key down into a bad SWR antenna is not an issue. A
coil like this can be made much smaller than edge wound types and the Q
as installed will usually be much higher because it is mounted farther
away from other objects (in terms of coil diameter). With a bit of air
over it, I'm pretty sure it would be good for everything you could get
out of a 3CX3000. (I drive a 4x4, and have driven 6x6's, I don't know
what a 3x3 would look like, although I have seen 3x2's on the road in
Japan many years ago)

On the other hand, a huge edge wound inductor is very photogenic. If the
purpose is to get your buddies all orgasmic when they see the photos,
then you surely need edge wound.

Discussion?

73,

Larry - W7IUV