Re: [Amps] AMP Reflector Quality of Information

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AMP Reflector Quality of Information
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:37:39 -0400
I don't want to take sides here, as Dick seems to, but I have been on this
amps reflector since it began.  There are some extraordinarily strong egos
in the amps community, and some intense bad blood between the participants
in a feud that now goes back about 10 years.  For many years this feud
would ebb and flow, and most of us non-feuders either got good with the
delete key or filtered out the e-mail addresses of the participants.  I did
the latter, because my theory was that if there was anything being said
that was of value, then a third party would probably be involved, and I'd
see the gist of it from things that person posted with quotes from the
others.  At various times, all of the players had useful things to say, so
this worked well.

Then the administration of the list changed.  I don't know the details, but
the new admin decided to take a firmer hand.  Things blew up, he banned
some people, and a lot of the group's participants moved to the Yahoo
group.  I probably should sample its throughput to see how the
signal-to-noise ratio is.  But in any case, what you are seeing is typical
of what happens when a group fragments - both remaining parts suffer.

73, Pete N4ZR