Re: [Amps] Surge resistor

To: "'Ian White GM3SEK'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Surge resistor
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:29:44 -0400
Even the corners of metal connecting lugs and terminals in the
high voltage departments in amplifiers are potential lightning rods.

A sharp metal corner or edge is a place where a corona discharge
can take place, be it a filter cap lead or a diode lead; whatever.

Good building craft addresses sharp edges and corners.

A good but unsightly prophylaxis is to use some
high-voltage dope on connections. Even the small amount of
insulation afforded may well fend off the corona seeking an arc
path to a grounded or otherwise opposing polarity.

Another solution is to find some Electroshield 7.5KV
"cloth." This stuff may be attached with some dabs of
RTV on to chassis walls nearby HV connections where
an arc might occur.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM