[Amps] 160 m antenna swr

To: amps@contesting.com, Joseph Brue <k3nm@ptd.net>
Subject: [Amps] 160 m antenna swr
From: Alex Aimette <w2ox@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:24:57 +0000
Here is a problem that perhaps some of you have faced or haqve had
experience with.
On v4 we put up a dipole for 160 but the best we can do is about35-40
feet above "ground."
Gound here is a plateau about 75' wide by 250' long on top of a mountain
1200' above sea level.
We feed this antenna with RG8x 52 ohm coax which comes straight down
from antnna to the ground, thence to the shack about 60 feet away.  The
best we have been able to do is get a swr of about  1.7-2.0  which
limits how much power we can feed to about net 800 watts (forward
1050-ref 250 w).
Reviewing the lit I "think" the feedpoint impedance is about 30-35
ohms--no measurements.

I was thinking maybe we could put some lumped matching device right on
the ground under the feedpoint to lower the swr.

Any ideas along these lines--configuration et al  would be appreciated.

alex w2ox/v47kp