[Amps] Tank Coil spacing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tank Coil spacing
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:45:32 -0600
As I begin to experiment with component layout on an amp ("playing
chassis-chess"), the biggest hurdle is trying to maintain the requisite space
around the pi and L coils.  I wound them 3" diameter 10 AWG.  My reading has
informed me to keep the coils 'half the coil diameter' away from the RF
compartment walls and tuning/loading capacitors.  This really eats up some
space in the RF compartment!   When I look at photos of commercial amps or even
other homebrew amps, I notice this spacing is not adhered to.  I could save
sapce by using just a pi tank, but again my reading indicates that the pi-L is
better engineering pracitce.  So now my questions...

1.   How critical is this spacing guideline?  How close can you actually place
the coils before Q is affected or other bad things happen?  How do the
commercial amps get away with it?

2.  It seems most of the homebrew and Handbook amps I see are Pi tanks.  Is the
Pi-L really necessary?

Thanks,
Steve KK7UV