Re: [Amps] Pi-L network

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi-L network
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:01:51 +1200
Tom said:
>It's pretty tough and very expensive to obtain the perceived
harmonic advantages of a pi-L in the real world of
multi-band amps. It's much cheaper to do it other ways.<
So why did so many professional continuous coverage QRO amps (7.5kW
and up) go to the trouble of a pi-L then?
I know of at least 4 different manufacturers who did so....
73
Peter W6/G3RZP this week>

I'm working on a JRC-510 transmitter - 1.6 to 30mHz continuous, 5kW out,
passive
grid-driven AB1 tetrode.
It uses a Pi-L network (switched fixed capacitors, roller inductors, auto-tune)
- the
manual states >50dB harmonic/spurious suppression.

>Tom said:    Do you partition or shield the L coil from the main tank
coil and tube leads??>

The JRC-510 has a vertical partition between the tube and Pi section, and the L
section - very serious shielding.

Another amplifier here, Sunair GL-1900 -1.6 to 30mHz continuous, 1 kW out
passive grid-driven AB1 tetrode - Pi-L network (vacuum C, switched L, vacuum C,
roller L, auto-tune) also has a shield between the tube/Pi inductor/capacitor
section
and L2 and C2.

I assume that the shielding was to eliminate any unwanted coupling between the
two L networks.

73, Ken ZL1AIH