Re: [Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:10:16 +0200 (CEST)
Gary,
I would argue that if the impedance presented to the plate is the same, then
the loaded Q should be pretty much the same. The laod impedance that the plate
sees affects directly the power output, so for equal everything else, the
laoded Q of the tank ought to be the same, and thus the circulating  current,
The impedance across the input of the pi is determined by the component values:
if the loss goes down but the values stay the same, to a first approximation,
the input impedance is the same. So if it's tuning with different values, it
suggests that it not just the inductance and q in the coil has changed. But, if
the loaded Q is constant, and the capacitor values are constant, the
circulating current at any power level must be constant. The loaded Q is a
function of the impedance that the network offers to the plate of the tube.
There are arguments about whether or not the impedance offered to the plate of
the tube is the complex conjugate of the tube impedance: I don't intend to open
this one up here, but merely say that there are conflciting opinions, wherein I
hold one, (in common with people like Warren Bruene), and Tom. W8JI and some
others (such as Professor Belrose, so you can hardl;y discount their arguments
as coming from people woithout a good technical background) hold a trotally
opposing view! Such arguments have the advantage that, being somewhat akin to
the mediaeval one of how many angels can be placed on the head of a pin, afford
the possibility of hours of innocent (but occasionally vituperative) argument.
73
Peter G3RZP