Re: [Amps] (Fwd) Amp tube pin/socket de VY1JA

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] (Fwd) Amp tube pin/socket de VY1JA
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:26:09 -0700
Tom W8JI wrote:

>> I noticed that the pin does not spring well against the
>> pin and adjusting it
>> does not net a real improvement in pin/socket connection.
>
> That could be a problem.

I have seen this problem myself. The problem is that once the pin and
the contact start getting hot, the spring loses its temper, which
increases the contact resistance, making the problem worse. Ultimately
the solder in the tube pin melts.

I have fixed it by swapping the spring on the filament pin with one from
one of the grid pins, which (we hope!) doesn't have to pass so much
current. Much easier than replacing the socket.

I have resoldered the pins using silver-bearing solder of the type that
will melt with a soldering iron set to 750 degrees f. I would be afraid
to use solder that required a torch because of the seals.

I don't know what starts the cycle of heating, but of course you have to
make sure the blower is working properly and there are no obstructions
near the inlet.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco