Re: [Amps] Eimac 15E

To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Eimac 15E
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:10:00 -0700
My trusty 1954 Radio Aamateur's Handbook has the following data for the 15E

20 watts plate dissipation
5.5 volts filament @ 4.2 amps
Amp factor = 25
Grid to filament = 1.4 pf
Grid to plate = 1.15 pf
Plate to filament = .3 pf
Max frequency full ratings = 600 MHz (whoops Mc)

They then list the characteristics the same as the 25T for operating
conditions.

I recall that the base pins fit in a crystal socket.  I made one into an
oscillator once upon a time.  Always intended to build a breadboard regen
receiver with one, too.

Cute little tube.  With 20 watts plate dissipation, you will need to run
about 75 of them in parallel to get 1500 watts.  That would suck 315 amps on
the filament, if run all in parallel, but you could connect 88 of them in
series- parallel and run two banks directly on 240 volts.  That would up the
plate dissipation to 1760 watts.

It would also provide over 2 kw of heat for the shack - just from the
filament.

Sure would be a pretty sight, though.  Be sure to have a window in the rig -
so the visitors can enjoy the view.

73,  Colin  K7FM