Re: [Amps] 3-500 Pins

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500 Pins
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:44:53 +0100
john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com wrote:
> Perversely,   high temp solders are exempt from RoHS....which is interesting,
> since high-temp
> solder has MORE lead than conventional solder.
Only because they couldn't find an alternative, however unviable.

> Leave it to bureaucrats to craft technical decisions, and this is what you
> get...
For sure. The original motivation was to stop lead in gazillions of
cheap gadgets going into the waste stream/landfill. That net turned into
a sieve. I'm now banned from using up carefully nurtured stocks of
lifetime buy components because they contain minute traces of lead. No
big deal if you're Nokia, tuning out new products every six months but a
serious burden for smaller outfits.

The real stupidity - guess where the lead in all those banned components
is going to end up? They'll go into domestic trash and landfill because
we've now also got extortionate recycling costs loaded on business.

If the rules are fully enforced, the knock on effect in minority
products like QRO amps will be dramatic.

Steve