Re: [Amps] Dumb question

To: "'Amplifier- List'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dumb question
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:58:16 -0500
Yes correct:

It is "New - Old Stock"  Today this generally refers to products in several
industries.  It first started in the auto industry and spread to other
industries to basically explain the same thing.

New in the box, dead stock sitting collecting dust on somebody's shelf,
usually for so long it is an obsolete and discontinued part.  With masses of
stocking dealers dead parts will show up in weird places.  I completely
rebuilt a 1976 Jeep Quadra Trac from NOS from about 10 dealers using JEEP'S
parts locate back in 1988.

In the auto and motorcycle industries these are highly sought after
components as they were from actual product production runs not aftermarket
remanufactured or aftermarket replacement parts.

When you are looking at NOS electronics this is not necessarily a good
thing.

A NOS electrolytic capacitor for instance is an aged part, while it will fit
as a new part in the circuit it already is old.  A NOS Eimac tube, depending
on how old it is or glass / ceramic could make a big difference.

Eimac warrantees a tube for 1 year in service or 18 months on the shelf.
NOS Eimac would be anything over 18 months old new in the box still.  We all
know there are a lot of old NOS Eimac out there. I have a 3CX3000A7 NOS
sitting here.  Old code dates means no warranty.  But also no mileage too.

** In the 70's I worked at an Eimac dealer (Pre Richardson having all the
business)  I was there when Richardson (around 1980) took over and became
the only rep.  We still bought at dealer price as an existing dealer but
then from Richardson.  The owners jumped on this because we no longer had to
worry about being a stocking dealer and tubes going NOS and out of warranty.
Basically as a dealer we had to watch and dump the tubes before this
happened.  I do believe there was a return policy with Eimac when this
happened, the single rep deal with their largest dealer (Richardson) nearly
eliminated the returns as we all bought from the same stock.  I felt screwed
as it was great having a shelf full of everything from 4CX250B's to
4CX35000's, sockets, chimney's, plate caps...

For instance a NOS Kenwood bandswitch is a good thing.  You know it is the
correct part for the job.

Just know what you are doing.  Use common sense when jumping on a NOS part.
Sometimes you can get a great device but will need to nurse it to full
health in the electronics world.

On the other side of the coin, got a Mousetrap for a 1938 Knuckle Head
Harley?  You're doing good, name your price.

BOB DD