[Amps] Transformer question...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Transformer question...
From: "Bill Otten" <harpman54@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 19:23:03 -0400
Hi, I'm new to the group and just learning a great deal reading through the
archives of this list. One question I have: I was given a United Transformer
model S50 (called the special series in the only reference I could find
online...a 1962-63 catalog). The S50 listed there isn't the same as the one I
have. THAT one was listed as 115volt primary with secondaries of
3000-2500-0-2500-3000.

The one I have has the two 115 volt primary taps and  a center tap,  but there
are 2 connections on top marked 5000volts and two more marked 6000 volts. I
haven't a clue what the DC amperage rating might be on this amp, nor do I have
any clue as to whether it would power an RF deck. I think my concern would be
the pull on a 115 volt circuit to run 6000 volts out. Size is about 10" high by
9" wide by 7" deep. Plenty heavy.

Bottom line: I'd appreciate any insight into this transformer and whether it
would supply an amp somehow. It tests fine. 10 volts in and about 470volts out
on the 5000v taps. I can't recall the results of the 6000volt taps but they
were a bit higher than the 5000 volt taps.

I have the RF deck already complete...a very nice 4-1000A, just got to deal
with getting a power supply to fire it up.

Thanks!

Bill
KC9CS