Re: [Amps] Bird wattmeter

To: "John Becker" <johnb3030@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird wattmeter
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:49 -0400
> While we're on the subject of Wattmeters, Has anyone here had an
> opportunity to compare the Array Solutions PowerMaster with N8LP's
> LP-100 Digital Vector Wattmeter? If so, an objective comparison of the
> two would be interesting.

The LP-100 was designed with a special emphasis placed on the directional
coupler in order to attain a very high degree of port directivity and
isolation, and is an instrument that is capable of more than just VSWR and
power monitoring: the LP-100 is capable of measuring complex Z where other
wattmeters made for amateur applications cannot.

In terms of absolute accuracy for the vast majority of HF applications,
nearly any wattmeter capable of reasonably flat frequency response over the
desired measured range is wholly adequate to probably the 5-10% level -- and
that includes the Bruene type of balanced bridge.  I cannot think of many
power monitoring applications for amateur use which requires anything better
than about 10% accuracy over the HF spectrum.

I own an LP-100, Array PowerMaster, Alpha 4510, and a Bird 43P.  Each reads
probably within 5% of each other.  I also own the Radiocraft 3000Pro.  For
an analog meter, it offers some unique features that the high-performance
units don't.  The designer doesn't boast of its absolute accuracy and the
coupler is nothing more than a Bruene bridge.  But of all the meters I have,
it probably gives me the fastest indication of what's going out into (and
back from) the antenna.

The digital bar graph wattmeters use an arbitrary scale that, to me, are not
always as useful as watching a simple moving-coil meter with peak hold
capabilities.

Paul, W9AC