Re: [Amps] Amp advice

To: "'Gerold Sklott'" <gsklott@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp advice
From: "shack" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 16:32:07 -0700
Gerry,

Like you my choice was slightly driven by cost.  I considered a choice
between the AL-82 and the AL-1500, I ended up with the AL-1500 because
it only needs 60 watts of drive from the exciter and as my Ft-2000 seems
to have fairly low talk power without distortion this worked for me. I
would add the Ameritron are not the best looking amps with the enclosure
etc., but the components used inside are pretty robust.

I am hoping the 8877 will last me a long time as they cost about 500
bucks plus, but then I guess 2 x 3-500's in the AL-82 would cost 300
bucks anyway.  The other plus with Ameritron is the parts are available
from their web page and will be for a long time, I am not sure that
could be said for all amplifier makers around at the moment.

I thought the same as you about the solid state amps, would the devices
be available in 10 years time, the way solid state technology goes,
maybe not.

By the way I got the Al-1500 from Texas Towers for about 2,600.00, much
cheaper than other amps and I am happy with Ameritron as a company.

Mike