Re: [Amps] An inexpensive choke for a resonant filter

To: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] An inexpensive choke for a resonant filter
From: Angel Vilaseca <AVILASECA@BLUEWIN.CH>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:13:43 +0200
Marv,

Thank you for this very useful information.

Maybe the primary of a microwave oven could be wired in series with the
secondary (forward or backwards, depending on the  inductance you want)
and be used to "fine tune" the total inductance by adding or removing
some turns.

Has any other group member experimented with microwave oven transformers
used as chokes?

Also, I wonder how much protection against overcurrent at resonance can
be expected from the magnetic shunts of the microwave oven transformers?

Can it be said that the magnetic shunts would lower the Q of the
resonant filter?

And that they would do so without dissipating any heat?

Lowering the Q of the resonant choke would be a good thing in terms of
safety. On the other hand, this would probably reduce 120 Hz ripple
attenuation.

Any ideas?

Vy 73 de Angel HB9SLV