Re: [Amps] analyser on output

To: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] analyser on output
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:01:10 -0400
> Are there any threads, cautions, general advice, web sites
> to help with using an analyser on the output of an
> amplifier?   I seek general enlightenment and a tool for
> comparing one amplifier with another, ageing effects,
> fault finding, searching for conditions that might support
> parasitics and the like.
>
> I have a AEA VIA antenna analyzer and MFJ259.

The information gathered by using a 259 or any other antenna
analyzer is very limited, but can be quite useful. For
example you can check the input network for performance by
terminating the pin of the amplifying device with a resistor
or load that simulates the input impedance and looking into
the input port of the PA. The same is true for the tank by
looking back into the output port of a cold amplifier if the
anode or device output pin is terminated in a proper load.

It's also possible to get a rough idea of choke performance
at HF.

With some method of measuring signal levels you could use it
as a signal source to test neutralization.

What are you trying to do?

73 Tom