[Amps] [Fwd: RE: L7 QSK]

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] [Fwd: RE: L7 QSK]
From: Garry <g.drummond@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:29:23 -0400
Hi Garry,
I only have some pictures of the external power supply when it was under
construction. I chose to go with the external power supply as that
allows the 4000 volts under load on the tubes. That is the Eimac maximum
for RF linear amplifier operation. My bleeder system provides the +120
volts for cut off bias. It works out to be closer to +140 volts as I
remember with the present bleeder values.

In my original response to you I stated that the two relay coils were
placed in parallel. That is incorrect. The coils are in series and the
reed relay has a resistor in parallel with the coil to make the current
of the 12 volt reed relay equal to the current of the 26 volt vacuum
relay. In series with the two relay coils is a resistor that drops the
difference between the 36 volts dropped across the two relay coils and
the 150 volt source voltage. The high voltage FET I use is also in
series with this resistor also. Try www.mgs4u.com <http://www.mgs4u.com>
for the vacuum relay. They are tested and inexpensive.

The reason I went to the external QSK box was because it was needed for
the 30L1 that it was originally designed and built for. There is
insufficient room to properly deploy the relays and additional circuits
inside the 30L1. It might be possible to deploy the two relays and
additional circuits in the L7 with out getting into problems. I have not
studied this. My main concern would be in not making the amplifier
unstable because of the RF relay wire paths since it is likely to
require at least the output relay to be in the RF output field of the PA
tubes. Since the in and out are 50 ohms the switching is easily moved to
the external box. I also have the 150 volt relay power supply in this
box along with the transistor interface to the L7 and the 30L1. Two
interfaces are necessary because of the way the 30L1 is designed.

Garry, I did not see that you placed my response to you onto the
contesting .com amplifiers bulletin board as I had requested. I would
again request that you do this as our dialog might be helpful to others.

Let me know if I can help with additional information.

Russ, NM6DX

<http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us>