[Amps] AL-811H conversion ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] AL-811H conversion ?
From: Hugh VA3TO <hduff@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:56:55 -0400
I have the opportunity to aquire an Ameritron AL-811H that needs a new
transformer for the HVPS.
I could get a replacement xformer but before I do that, I'm wondering if
I could use it as a basis to something else with.  What I'd *really*
like to do is make it into a 6m amp but as I understand it the 811 tubes
don't work well up to 6m. Could I change the amp to run a single 3-500z
or is the power supply not big enough ?
Has anyone else ever done something different with one of these amps ?
Should I replace the xformer and leave well enough alone ?

73 de Hugh VA3TO