[Amps] FW: ALPHAs and momentary power outages

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] FW: ALPHAs and momentary power outages
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:53:17 -0500
I've seen a lot of my comments reused here in most of these posts...

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

My point was NOT to use a UPS.  However I said I had USED one that was
MASSIVELY oversized during field days to smooth out generator issues and
refueling.

Obviously nobody followed what I was saying... taking my comments far too
literally.

I was been quite facetious referring to the 2000# 80Amp 240V UPS we just
removed from our building and ones like it could be bought on eBay.  There
was enough dead batteries in that thing to power an electric car.

Even our 3000VA units which I have 4 powering my server rack weigh 150#
each. And are not capable of powering a ham amplifier...

If you are concerned about missing QSO's in a contest...  and I am well
aware of losing a contest by split hairs as one of my high power phone
sweepstakes contests was lost by 6 QSO's back in 90 something...

Run all solid state, power the equipment from batteries and use big power
supplies/battery chargers to supply the batteries.  No UPS's needed.

That's why new computer servers power from 48 volts if you desire...  Lose
all the BS and go right to the source.  That will probably be my next route
after we finish depreciating this round of computer equipment.

A few people here could probably chime in as the phone industry has been
using battery rooms for 100 years.

For the Alpha, cut out the timer and replace it with something smarter.
Even the HENRY's Amperite timer would stay engaged after blowing the
breakers.

BOB DD