Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?
From: STEVEN & NANCY FRAASCH <sjfraasch@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:08 -0400 (EDT)
Bob:

The antenna analyzer SHOULD have a source impedance of ~50 ohms.  If it didn't
it would cause a reflection (or possibly reduce or cancel a reflection) if it
presents an odd conjugate condition other than 50 ohms real.

Maybe I am not clear on what to do:  You're attaching a load impedance to the
input of the tank that emulates the desired tube operating load impedance.
Chuck said that this is ~1800 ohms.  Given that a resistor of that value is
placed from that node (plate cap) to RF ground (along with the shunt
capacitance of the tube's output, Cp-g for grounded grid), and the tank is
properly adjusted, you should measure 50 ohms or a 1:1 SWR at the output of the
amplifier at desired frequency.  There is no other termination at the output,
only the source impedance of the antenna analyzer, 50 ohms.

You could go the other way, measure from the tank input and hang a 50 ohm
termination at the amp output, but most impedance bridges are too inaccurate or
won't resolve > 1K ohms.

This whole thing reminds me a bit of WG0M in Minneapolis a few years ago who
wanted me to design a matching network for his 160m "L" antenna.  I used NEC2
to ballpark it.  He hooked it up and was mad because he still had 3:1 SWR.  I
went over to help him, and it was immediately obvious what the problem was:
The vertical portion of the "L" ran parallel and 3" away from his 60' tower.  I
never knew (nor did he tell me) he had a tower.  A little fiddling and we had a
match.

So if there's anything you're forgetting to tell me Chuck ...

73, Steve, K0SF