Re: [Amps] LK-500 ZA heat

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK-500 ZA heat
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:53:12 -0700
For 3-500Z tubes that are cooled by a sideways air stream as in the SB 220,
has anyone measured the temperature of the glass on opposite sides of the
tube, to see if the upstream side is significantly cooler than the opposite
side, which hopefully catches a lot of air that clings to and follows the
contour of the glass envelope.   And if there were temp differences, is that
an issue?   Or does the glass handle temperature gradients well, the only
concern being the glass to electrode interfaces?

I remember similar verbiage describing the only upper limit to air flow
being that which migh t  remove the tube from the socket, both in the Eimac
Amateur Service Notes, and I think, in the Eimac Care and Feeding of Power
Tubes.

I dug out my complete collection of Eimac Service Notes, about Amps, Tubes,
and Even EME.   The complete set.  Someone suggested that those may be
collectible.   I am not looking to sell t hem, but  would there be a need to
make all of them available on the web?
Maybe they already are posted....
Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team