Re: [Amps] Amphenol Connectors made in China

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amphenol Connectors made in China
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:32:18 +0200 (CEST)
Nearly 40 years ago, we had a CEO who insisted on the cheapest components. He
bought 2N3866s from Microelectronics in Hong Kong: their beta was below the
JEDEC spec and we were frequently short of drive and spent hours selecting and
changing transistors. Of course, he blamed the deisgn department......BC108s
from the same firm were likewise unreliable. It can be very hard to get over to
management that it can be MORE expensive in the longer run to go for cheap
labour/components/manufacturing.
One point to watch with connectors is that they get the threads right: there
were N types appearing here, made in Taiwan, but where they'd used a metric
thread rather than 5/8-32UNEF!

73
Peter G3RZP