Re: [Amps] Mil-Spec Fil Xfmr performance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mil-Spec Fil Xfmr performance
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 06:43:21 -0400
Why do we seem to think components are fuses and that
running a component slightly over the rating should suddenly
make a component designed for hundreds of years at full
ratings fail in a short time with a slight overload? Next
thing you know we'll get some moronic idea like resistors or
even metallic fuses making good grid current protection
fuses!

Even non-mil spec transformers have considerable headroom
for load power when properly designed, especially if
operated at low ambient temperature or without excessive
voltage to the point where the core is saturating.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a regular old Stancore
transformer handle half again factory current ratings for
many many years.

73 Tom