Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] crossmodulation in PA ? Thanks for all good advice
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:55:32 +0200
Hello everybody !
I have been reading all replies and thank everybody for all advice so far.
 I agree that crossmodulation in power meter diodes is highly  unlikely
due to the reasons explained to me. I also thought that a linear amp would
be a poor mixer as one of you pointed out. Because of the low "injection
signals"
involved ,-rectifying "diode" joints somewhere in or near the antenna
structure
seems to be the most likely cause. I would like to add the following to my
previous
message :
We are using coax filter stubs as adviced by K2TR and K1TTT . These are on
the amp outputs.
We are also using Dunestar bandpass filters (series 600 switchable) on all
stations. These are
between transceiver and amp.  We are using phillystrand or similar non
conductive guy systems
that was given to us from a commercial site taken off air. All tower joints
are jumpered by heavy copper
wire, mainly for lightning safety. We have an extensive underground rf-and
lightning ground system.
We serviced the 20M beam a couple of years ago. And I am using a pad
(attenuator) on the analyzer
input :-)  by the way my analyzer tells me if I am out of dynamic range and
it does so loudly :-)
I usually go for 20 to 30 dB below that warning, at least...
So.. I think I just have to accept the fact that we have to order a mobile
crane again. At this qth
in the middle of nowhere they usually charge 1000 USD just to get here and
set up equipment !
That was my reason for the desperate search for another explanation.
But thank you everybody. I will read all mail from this group. Seems to be
an active group with
well qualified people. I would like to get info on any company that can
supply high power bandpass
filters at affordable prices. Bandpass on every antenna line would be a very
attractive solution for
us regardless of this specific problem. They would need to handle US max
legal pwr + safety
margin. Single band units preferred. I know of just one company capable of
delivering. They usually
deliver military stuff and would charge us an amount that could buy me a
nice new car... any info anybody ?
Nils LA7SL