[Amps] Analyzing crossmodulation in PA and antenna system- W8JIsuggestio

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Analyzing crossmodulation in PA and antenna system- W8JIsuggestions
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:27:56 +0000

This has been an interesting thread, and traditionally a difficult problem to isolate but once isolated has straightforward solutions. Several posters have given their experiences and possibilities for correcting the problem.
I am particularly impressed by Tom, W8JI's postings on this problem. Tom outlines a methodical engineering procedure for analyzing the environment in which the problem exists and homing in on the problem. Once isolated the fix will be apparent.
From time to time on other reflectors I will see someone come on and say
something like, "When I turned on my old TR4 today the fuse blew in the power supply. What is the problem." And he will get a bunch of replies, such as "Better change the caps in the PS, replace all the diodes, replace the equalizing resistors because they change value, time to replace the finals because I had one short out on me once." Almost never does someone suggest a logical method of homing in on the real culprit that caused the fuse to blow, to get out the ohmmeter and trace the circuit. But Tom always does, and I REALLY appreciate the advice he gives. Tom you should write a book. You may not always be 100% right, but 99% is good enough for me.

Rick K2XT