Re: [Amps] AL1500 cooling mod?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1500 cooling mod?
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:55:13 +0100
rt_clay@bellsouth.net wrote:
> While the specified operating temp may indeed be that high, the operating
> life of the cap decreases with increasing temperature.
>
> I found the following document,
>
> http://industrial.rell.com/pdfs/IPG_AN_appguide.pdf
>
> which claims on page 15 "For capacitors operating at moderate temperature the
> operating life doubles for each 10 deg C that operating temperature is
> reduced."
Yes, that's the number most manufacturers use - but - the starting
point is typically 2000 hours of life at 105C ambient and maximum
rated ripple simultaneously. If you come back (say) 20 degrees on
the temperature and reckon on the ripple current hitting max. for
25% of the time, then you're at 32,000 hours. That's 3 hours a
day, every day, for 29 years, or a 24 hour contest every weekend
for 26 years.

Modern electrolytics are very different from the ones I grew up with!

Steve