[Amps] Power Supply Improvements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Power Supply Improvements
From: "Mike Lucas" <w5chr@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:52:20 -0500
A very clean single 4-1000A amp and power supply followed me home from a
recent tower removal project. The amp and P/S were built by a friend of
W4GD, and used until a couple of years ago. The supply has a 15 MFD
oil-filled capacitor following a choke in the neg lead. Diodes are a string
of 3 amp 1000 Volt units.
The former owner used the supply for nearly 20 years, and reported no
problems.He used it at 4500 volts, with a BIG Variac instead of a
step-start.Before I apply power to this supply, any suggested performance or
safety improvements anyone would care to suggest??

Mike W5CHR