Re: [Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier

To: "Manfred Mornhinweg" <mmornhin@gmx.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:37:36 +0100
Manfred

Thanks for that detailed explanation:  I like the way you use a sound card
to help with getting the stability right.

>> without switching regulation a smaller output capacitance (smaller size
>> and
>> weight) is needed as the guard band is very small compared to the
>> triangular
>> dip when using an inductor
>
> Sorry, I didn't get this...

Say you have a simple, non-stabilised switcher; then, in a push pull or
bridge design, a small guard band is needed between each side
energising/de-energising transition to allow for storage effects, to prevent
cross-conduction.  This guard band is "filled in" with the output
capacitance.  This value of capacitance would be a lot smaller than needed
in a stabilised design.  Of course it does nothing for input ripple.

David
G3UNA