Re: [Amps] HF amp output power dropping

To: "jordan moser" <henry8877amp@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF amp output power dropping
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:34:42 -0400
> I have an old Henry 3000d RF heater that was converted to
> HAM use by someone else. It runs a 3CX3000A7 tube in
> grounded grid.
> Recently the output power has begun falling off rapidly
> whenever I apply constant drive such as during tune up.
> The tube is new and the plate voltage remains steady as
> always.Is there anything else that could be causing this?
> It reminds me of a tube that has gone soft although I am
> sure it's not the tube.
> Any help is appreciated

Assuming the drive is constant and the meters are good, it
sounds like a bad tube.

It could be a capacitor or inductor drifting off value and
making something get mismatched, it could be the bias is
drifting up,  but a problem like that when it suddenly shows
in an otherwise properly working amp is generally (but not
always) the tube.

Watch all the meters especially plate current and bias, that
should tell you something.

73 Tom