[Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:23:53 +0000

 In a posting about QSK Tom, W8JI wrote, and got me thinking:
"A set of 3CX800's can be ruined in just seconds of operation
with excessive grid dissipation."

I am working on a homebrew 8877 amp here and the circuit I am using for grid
trip is very common.  It is a simple pot off of the cathode line to ground,
driving
a transistor which pulls in a relay.  The relay breaks the PTT line.  Here's my
question - the relay has a 100 uf electrolytic across it which slows down the
trip
time and also the time to reset, which is probably less than a second although
it
seems like forever.  This time constant would mean that momentary overcurrent
in the grid circuit would be tolerated.  Is this ok?  I am considering lowering
the value of the cap or even eliminating it.  If I eliminated it, then would
you think it would become annoying, tripping on little spikes.

Rick  K2XT