Re: [Amps] CB etc Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CB etc Amps
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:45:58 -0400

> >My Tokyo HK-1.5Kfx runs almost as much power out on HF as does my old
> >Henry
>
> 2K4 without near the heat. OTOH my *old* Alpha 76A doesn't throw out near
> as
>
> much heat as does that 2K4 either.  Then again, I could purchase a lot of
> electricity for difference between what I paid for the 1.5K and the 2K4
> <:-)) Even in good shape and with a good pair of tubes the old Henry amps
> are typically in the $700 range. Some go higher, but they need to be one
> of
> the *BIG* ones to bring much more. I see quite a few with the initial bids
> around $1200 that end with zero bids. They are big and they are heavy. Not
> exactly table top.
> 73
> Roger (K8RI)<
>
> ::And the 2K4 can load up into a 4 or 5:1 VSWR system without flinching.

Tru, but so can my 1.5K if I put a matching network behind it which of
course the 2K4 has built in.

> And you can run it at 250W carrier power with 100% modulation from an AM

But...but...but...whay would any one do something so terrible to our bands.
<:-))
That's like me telling the locals I have the 2002A so I can get into the
repeater 6 miles away.
Actually I did tell them it's for packet so I can work any one I can hear.
<:-))

> exciter and hold really long transmissions.  When you fry a tube, a  new
> one
> is $175 and not $400 like a 500W FET.  But it is heavy and it does have

I picked up a pair of new 3-500s for just a little over that.  I should
sell the Eimac tubes I have as they are bringing a premium price. OTOH most
of the tubes I have around here go for a lot more than $175.

> knobs. -WB2WIK/6

I like the buttons and flashing lights and ... auto band switching with near
instant tune with the auto-tuner. Wish I could do that with the 76A.  I
figure an auto-tuner is a courtesy for every one else on the bands. Maybe I
should ask for contributions?

73

Roger (K8RI)